Re: [OT] modify midi

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: [OT] modify midi
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 12:18:00 +0100

At 11:09 on 15 Jun 2020, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
> Sometimes I would like to modify a bit the midi file generated by
> Lilypond. What stops me from doing that is that in case I modify the
> lilypond source I lose all the work done on the midi and I have to do
> it again from scratch.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone knows a software that gives you the
> possibility to record the list of operations I do on a midi file so
> that I can reapply them "automatically". Of course I understand the
> limitation that a software like this will have: the midi file you want
> to apply the change has to be "very similar" to the original one (for
> example changing only the note pitch etc. etc.).

There are various utilities on the web for converting midi to and from text
formats, e.g. http://www.archduke.org/midi/

You could have a potential workflow as follows:

- convert Lilypond's MIDI output to text
- edit as necessary
- save diff of the edit
- convert back to MIDI for playback
- edit Lilypond, export new MIDI, convert to text
- use patch to apply previous diff
- convert back to MIDI for playback

https://www.pair.com/support/kb/paircloud-diff-and-patch/

--