Re: Making Lilypond faster

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Making Lilypond faster
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 19:13:46 +0200

Hi Paolo,

today I tried to compile LilyPond with guile-3.

####

Guile-3 was compiled from their repo with:

sh autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

giving me "3.0.2.124-e7398")

####

For compiling LilyPond I used:

sh autogen.sh --noconfigure
mkdir -p build/
cd build/
../configure GUILE_FLAVOR=guile-3.0
make

###

`make' succeeded, though there is a problem reported:
imported module (lily) overrides core binding `_'
Which is caused by guile now using `_' as a reserved keyword. Formerly
it was short for gettext, now `G_' should be used.
Though, for now I didn't fix it.

I then compiled some scores with this LilyPond and compared timing
with released lilypond-2.21.1.:
LilyPond with guile-3 needs in average ~40% more time.
No clue whether the timing is influenced by the not fixed gettext-shortcut.

Note that I didn't try to build the docs nor did I try to compile the regtests.
More problems could pop up then...

Hi Harm,

thanks for sharing this test.
At this point, I'm meditating about a "selective" way of compiling a score with a preprocessor, so to save time.
I'll open a thread in the ML about this, ASAP.

Best,