Re: Regexp Functions

From: Freeman Gilmore
Subject: Re: Regexp Functions
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 09:55:13 -0400

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 6:51 AM Jacques Menu <imj-muzhic@bluewin.ch> wrote:

> Hello Freeman,
>
> > Le 9 juin 2020 à 09:43, Freeman Gilmore <freeman.gilmore@gmail.com> a écrit
> > :
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 1:25 AM Michael Gerdau <mgd@qata.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I find your description difficult to understand. Maybe you could provide
> >> an set of examples showing exactly what you wish to be modified into what.
> > Sorry, that is the problem I have when someone asks about what i am
> > doing or trying to do.   For me I find it best to just ask what I want
> > to know.  Arron  as well as some others answer my question when I do
> > not include these kinds of detail they do add confusion.   Arron on my
> > initial post did not understand what I was asking eathere.
> >
> > So I will try again.    Say you have "Xsdfghjkl"     If "x" is the first
> > character  then replace the "g" if it exist with "Y"   =>  "XsdYfhjkl"X
> >
> >> Apart from that your problem sounds as if it is trivial when using non
> >> greedy regular expressions.
> >
> > I do not know what this means:  non greedy regular expressions?
>
> Greedy relates to how many characters are consumed by regular expressions
> when a match if found.
>
> You may need to learn more deeply about these to reach your goal.

That definition helps.     I use the Guile manual, the section Regular
Expressions is miss leading about what is there.    I only went there
because Arron Hill told me about it     And the introduction states "A
full description of regular expressions and their syntax is beyond the
scope of this manual"; and the URL goes nowhere.   And I would guess
knowing what to read elsewhere that is consistent with the guile
version Lilypond uses may be a probleblen.   I am open to a good ron
cryptic reference?

Thank you,  ƒg