Re: A request on behalf of Turkish Music

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: A request on behalf of Turkish Music
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 14:16:42 -0700

On 2020-04-09 1:59 pm, Noeck wrote:
Hi,

Am 08.04.20 um 14:38 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:

A combination of makam.ly and this definitions.ily should be easy to
do.  But as Werner said, having them in the Emmentaler font (one way
or the other) would be better.

Well, here's the question: Shall we add such glyphs at all?

Of course. My wording was wrong here.

I made a small ly-file just to show how the accidentals with numbers
(using the finger style) look like. It is in no way connected to tuning,
it is just a display for further discussions about the optics.

To my eye, the flat numbers seem a little close to the vertical bar as compared to the rounded section of the flat. I would nudge them slightly to the right and slightly downward to balance the spacing.

The sharp numbers seem like they could be moved slightly upward. The "1" in particular looks odd to me as it is physically connected to the sharp. Perhaps that is a desired trait, though.

Would it make sense to try to mimic the flat number positioning and have the sharp numbers in a "superscript" location (crude ASCII art following):

   , , 2
  -+-+-
  -+-+-
   ' '

Or, since that increases the width of the accidental, would that push the sharp too far to the left of a note?

-- Aaron Hill