Re: Remote Ensemble Playing

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Remote Ensemble Playing
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 14:33:20 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 01.04.2020, 13:27 +0100 schrieb Dr Nicholas Bailey:
> Off topic, so I've not bothered the list with it. But you might be
> interested...
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/
> 200806144_Perception_of_onset_asynchronies_Acoustic_Piano_versus_Sync
> hronized_complex_versus_pure_tones
> http://musicstudies.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Parncutt_JIMS_11050202.pdf

Without having read it (sorry, so little time ATM) I think the physical
boundaries of perception are pretty independent from the boundaries of
musical reality. There's very much real musicians can achieve that
sceptics (self-declared science people) would declare physically
impossible. Like some pianists being much better at playing "legato"
than others, or the possibility to differenciate between a 4 over 3
tuplet and the corresponding rhythmic notation.

> I'd be very interested to hear more about your Jitsi project by the
> way!
> github?

That would be extremely interesting for us too because our work will
very much rely on a jitsi instance (which we fortunately had running
for some time already).

Urs