Proposal: Changing tremolo beam gap implementation

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Proposal: Changing tremolo beam gap implementation
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 10:35:10 -0700 (MST)

Hello all,

Looking more deeply into Harm's strange whole-note tremolo beam gap
behaviour, I've stumbled over the current gap implementation:

It's probably rather academic, but my understanding of "gap size" is the
actual gap size (white space) between two objects.

Looking at the current implementation and playing around with stem
thickness, however, it becomes obvious that the gap is, other than expected,
not the free space between stem and beam:  It it is measured from the outer
side of the stems and not from the inner side of the stems.

The following illustration will compare the current behaviour to what I
would expect, varying the beam thicknesses from 0 via standard up to
exaggerated values in order to make the effect clearly visible:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/tremolo-gap-comp.png>

*What do you think?*
Wouldn't it be better to have "gap" actually mean "free space"?
Before opening an issue and uploading a patch, I'd rather ask for opinions.

Thanks in advance,
Torsten

tremolo-gap-comp.png
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/tremolo-gap-comp.png>