Re: An exciting new release… of Sibelius!!!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: An exciting new release… of Sibelius!!!
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 16:06:33 +0100

Torsten Hämmerle <address@hidden> writes:

> Very nice.
>
> But I'm a bit disappointed that, obviously, there's still no solution for
> the long-standing issue "tuplets across bar lines", which has never been a
> problem for LilyPond, but Sibelius/Finale still can't handle this without
> trickery and tweaking.
>
> No need for glee, but, from time to time, it can be quite interesting to
> compare LilyPond to "professional" (i.e. commercial) software.

Sometimes it is hard to compare.  "Features" are often the outcome of
the architecture making something easy or hard or a fudgearound.  You
can increase their number by just investing more work against bad odds.

There has been quite a bit of tweaking added to LilyPond in recent years
and ways to make it more comfortable to end users, but the naked
"feature" sheet has not seen a lot of growth.

What is and what is not and what is well and not well supported is a
really complex landscape with music typesetting software.  As a
decision-maker, it's a so-so thing.

I'd expect Dorico to catch up eventually featurewise: it has the
advantage of being architectured by a team where several core members
had years of experience with the kind of thing causing problems in
Sibelius.

The main problem for me is that all that is sort-of shoulder-shrug
material.  For me the main incentive for using LilyPond is its
text-based input.  Checking off feature lists is comparatively
unimportant for me.  I'd expect this kind of choice to be similarly
orthogonal to feature sets for those deciding against using LilyPond
because of its text-based input.

--
David Kastrup