Re: Getting started with music functions

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Getting started with music functions
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 03:10:30 -0700

=> David K., do you know why the parser balks at such a top-level
ly:book?

How can a book be distinguished from a bookpart?

Are they both ly:book? behind the scenes?  If so, I can see the problem.

Without an answer to
that question, we cannot implement this.  But have you tried explicitly
using

\book { ... }

for getting a book?

I suspect I am misunderstanding you.  Here is what else I have tried:

%%%%
\version "2.20"

bookFunc = #(define-scheme-function () ()
  #{ \book { \score { { b'4 } } } #})

% \bookFunc % fails - bad expression type
% \book { \bookFunc } % fails - bad expression type
$#{ \bookFunc #} % works?!
%%%%

-- Aaron Hill