Re: Ties in chord mode

From: Klaus Blum
Subject: Re: Ties in chord mode
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 05:57:22 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ben,

Ben Eichler wrote
> suppose I want that C major chord to last only for 5 beats, in a melody
> I would use a tie, but that doesn't work in chord mode, the second chord
> is
> printed which I don't want:
> Chord notation: |C . . . |(C) F . . |
> Lilypond notation: \chordmode { c1( c4) f2. }

If you don't need MIDI output  from your Ly file, you can put invisible
rests into the chords:

% -------------------------------
\version "2.19.83"

<<
  \new ChordNames \chordmode {
    c1
    s4 f s s
  }
  \new Staff \relative c' {
    \repeat unfold 8 {c4}
  }

Am I right that you don't want the chord symbols you've put in parentheses?
If you want an output like  |  C   | (C) F  | you can write
c1 \parenthesize c4 f2.

Cheers,
Klaus