Re: [Scheme coding] turning a list into a markup/string

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Scheme coding] turning a list into a markup/string
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 23:54:11 +0100

> Hi David,
>
>> Well, ##{ c' d' e' c' #} would work.
>
> In the "Nearly, But Not Quite There" category: I tried
>
>   #{ c' d' e' c' #}
>
> which, of course, failed. I didn’t think to prepend a second #.

# goes into Scheme, and #{ goes into music mode then.  If you write #{
then # goes into Scheme and Scheme has no idea what { is supposed to be.

>> Markups are icky things.
>
> That is, perhaps, not the best thing to admit to someone on the first
> rung of the "Learning To Program In Scheme For Lilypond" ladder…

I've not fundamentally changed LilyPond's design.  I streamlined and
generalised a lot of stuff where things appear to make a whole lot more
sense now and have quite less of a tendency to bleed internals all over
you if you poke them wrong.  But consistent and logical is not the same
as simple even though it helps, and I've not really had much of a
wrestling match with markup and their commands yet.

--
David Kastrup