Re: license question

From: mason
Subject: Re: license question
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 11:09:55 -0800

> I have a question concerning the GPL.  Is it permissible for an app
> under a GPL-incompatible license to provide output in LilyPond code?
> For example, could Finale provide a Finale->LilyPond converter even
> though the mechanics are shrouded in mystery?

IANAL, but I don't think this would be a problem.  Finale cannot
incorporate any of Lilypond's code in order to achieve this
functionality, but I don't thing anything would stop them from
implementing it themselves.

This reminds me of MATLAB and GNU Octave.  There this situation is
reversed, in that the proprietary program came before the GPL'd program,
but it is another example of two programs with incompatible licenses
using the same syntax.