Re: Question about GPL license

From: mason
Subject: Re: Question about GPL license
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 14:13:42 -0800

On 12/28, Paolo Prete wrote:
> In these days, I worked at my Javascript script which allows to place
> Lilypond's grobs with the mouse. I think I'm ready to share a test
> version on Github.  From what I see, the only license that I can use
> for it is GPLv3.

In order to make your code compatible with Lilypond (and potentially
Frescobaldi), then it should be under GPLv3 or another
GPLv3-compatible[1] license.  If you choose another GPLv3 compatible
license, then your code can be distributed alone under the terms of your
chosen license, or alongside Lilypond and/or Frescobaldi under the terms
of the GPLv3.

> I just saw this article about the bad sides of this license:
>
> https://fodina.de/en/2019/lilypond-snippets-and-the-gpl/

This is unfounded FUD.  You can ignore it, or search the archives for
prior discussion of it.

Mason

[1] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses