Re: programming error: note column without heads and stem

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: programming error: note column without heads and stem
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 13:06:15 +0100

Am Mo., 2. Dez. 2019 um 11:51 Uhr schrieb Sandro Santilli <address@hidden>:

> On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 05:25:28PM +0100, Thomas Morley wrote:
> > Am Fr., 29. Nov. 2019 um 12:11 Uhr schrieb Sandro Santilli <address@hidden>:
> > >
> > > When using \partcombine I'm getting 3 of these errors:
> > >
> > >   programming error: note column without heads and stem
> > >   continuing, cross fingers
> > >
> > > The errors doesn't tell which line/column they come from.
> > > How can I debug it ?
> >
> > Took me 20 min to boil it down to a three lines minimal. That's _your_ task.
> > No time left for searching a sollution ;)
>
> Ok, sorry. The problem was this block:
>
>   \layout {
>     \context { \Voice
>       \consists "Ambitus_engraver"
>     }
>   }
>
> It looks like using an "Ambitus_engraver" with a \partcombine
> results in that warning.

Not exactly. Below returns the same programming error:

\version "2.19.83"

\layout { \context { \Voice \consists "Ambitus_engraver" } }

\new Staff
  <<
    \new Voice s4
    \new Voice s4

\partcombine creates a bunch of Voices called "one", "two", "shared",
"solo" and "null"
It's not unlikely that some of them remain without notes, so
\partcombine will trigger the problem more frequently.

Probably Ambitus_engraver should return a more meaningful warning for
Voices with no nore-columns, avoiding a 'programming error' at all.

> I tried a \remove "Ambitus_engraver"
> in the part-combined score but didn't work so I ended up moving
> the \consist in each score in which I wanted the Ambitus engraver.

Consisting in Staff always works for me:
\layout { \context { \Staff \consists "Ambitus_engraver" } }

Cheers,
  Harm

P.S. never post example code without the needed include-files ;)