Re: Overriding position of a full bar rest does not always work

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Re: Overriding position of a full bar rest does not always work
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 11:39:22 +0000

Hello  Kieren,

Sunday, December 1, 2019, 3:19:51 AM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:

> Hi Peter,

>> The following MWE shows that the full bar rests are not shifted as I would have expected in the parallel voices. Bars 5 and 6 print the rests at different heights. Have I missed a property somewhere?

> Well, rests are Rest, and full-bar rests are MultiMeasureRest…  ;)

That's sort of oxymoronic. :) Multi > 1 in most meanings.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/multi-

>> Alternatively, can some one help me place the markup at the beginning of the bar?

> Why use a markup? Wouldn’t it be [semantically]
> correct/superior as a mark (or tempo)? e.g.

>     \tweak self-alignment-X #LEFT \mark \markup \italic "Ritard."

What a good idea. One of the problems with learning Lilypond - and one of its strengths - is the number of tewaks that are available. For sporadic user like myself, it's often easier to use a construction that you know rather than trawl through the LR, NR and IR searching for something that might not even exist.

> Hope that helps!

I'm sure it will! Thanks.

> Kieren.

Best regards,