Re: Input syntax question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Input syntax question
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 16:13:36 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019, David Kastrup wrote:
>> The respective lines in lily/lexer.ll read
>>
>> A            [a-zA-Z\200-\377]
>> SYMBOL               {A}([-_]{A}|{A})*
>> COMMAND              \\{SYMBOL}
>
> Interesting that this disagrees with the item from the Notation Reference
> cited elsewhere in the thread, which says hyphens and underscores aren't
> allowed.

It has changed (for good reason) in the course of LilyPond's history.
As the change author, I thought to have documented this change as it
happened, but I have been neither able to find a documentation of the
current state nor a documentation of the previous state when I looked
now.  Obviously someone else was able to find a documentation of the
previous state.

So the documentation would likely warrant amending.  The state of "every
non-ASCII character is as good as a letter" is not explicitly documented
but it's not obvious that this comparatively simple rule is one that may
not at some point of time be further changed.  So that the documentation
remains silent on non-ASCII characters is more or less intentional.

--
David Kastrup