Re: tweaking all Lyrics items at once

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: tweaking all Lyrics items at once
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 11:38:46 -0400

Hi David,

>> I want to tweak [extra-offset] a whole line in a Lyrics context.
>> There are (potentially) multiple grobs involved: LyricText,
>> LyricHyphen, LyricExtender, LyricSpace, and StanzaNumber.
>>
>> Is there already an existing function/tweak I can use to move
>> everything at once, or do I need to add my own music function which
>> tweaks all five grobs?
>
> Have an example that won't react to just tweaking the VerticalAxisGroup
> ?

Sorry, I was unclear: In the middle of a score, I want to move (extra-offset) a
Lyrics context in a single system of a score (i.e., not the whole score).

I have the following syntactic sugar:

lyrEOBegin =
  #(define-music-function (parser location xo) (pair?)
    #{
      \temporary \override LyricText.extra-offset = $xo
      \temporary \override LyricHyphen.extra-offset = $xo
      \temporary \override LyricExtender.extra-offset = $xo
      \temporary \override LyricSpace.extra-offset = $xo
      \temporary \override StanzaNumber.extra-offset = $xo
    #})
lyrEOEnd = {
  \revert LyricText.extra-offset
  \revert LyricHyphen.extra-offset
  \revert LyricExtender.extra-offset
  \revert LyricSpace.extra-offset
  \revert StanzaNumber.extra-offset
}

It works fine… but I was wondering if I reinvented the wheel (or invented a
suboptimal wheel).

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)