Re: upgrading to 2.19.83-1 from 2.18.2 on Linux Mint

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: upgrading to 2.19.83-1 from 2.18.2 on Linux Mint
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2019 16:38:31 -0700

On 2019-08-09 4:16 pm, Bill via lilypond-user wrote:
Oh well I tried
i downloaded

lilypond-2.19.83-1.linux-64.sh
from this
GNU/Linux 64: LilyPond 2.19.83-1
 buttonat

http://lilypond.org/development.html
I tried to upgrade using Synaptic package Manager but that only showed
2.18.2 which i have installed.

This is an installation script, not a package. To my knowledge, it has nothing to do with any package managers.

As such, you will first need to use your package manager to manually uninstall any existing LilyPond package if you have one that you want to replace. Then you can simply run 'sudo sh lilypond-2.19.83-1.linux-64.sh' (no extra arguments needed) and follow the prompts. This will install under /usr/local/lilypond with a shortcut under /usr/local/bin by default.

An alternative is to install LilyPond to your home directory for a user-specific installation. This will be independent of any other installation, meaning you do not need to futz with any package managers. In this case, do not use 'sudo'. Just run 'sh lilypond-2.19.83-1.linux-64.sh'. By default, it will install under /~/lilypond with a shortcut under /~/bin.

-- Aaron Hill