Re: Specifying piece titles in Score context

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Specifying piece titles in Score context
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 00:55:58 +0200

Am Mo., 5. Aug. 2019 um 00:28 Uhr schrieb Michael Seifert <address@hidden>:

>         I’m trying to compile some parts and a full score from a set of
> included files.   I’m running into a problem that I’m sure must be solvable;
> I just can’t figure out where it is in the documentation.
>
>         Specifically:  many of the parts include several bars of rest, so I
> need to have skipBars = ##t in all my scores.  So I can do something like
> this:
> —————
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \header {
> title = "Symphony"
> }
>
> \new Score
> {
> \set Score.skipBars = ##t
>
> \relative c' { \repeat unfold 2 {c4 d e f} R1*10 \repeat unfold 2 {c4 d e f}}
>
> % \header { piece = "I."}
> }
>
> \new Score
> {
> \set Score.skipBars = ##t
>
> \relative c' { \repeat unfold 2 {f4 e d c} R1*10 \repeat unfold 2 {f4 e d c}}
>
> % \header { piece = "II."}
> }
> —————
>         But if I do this, I can’t figure out how to include the
> movement-specific headers;  uncommenting the commented lines in the snippet
> above returns an error about an “unexpected \header”.
>
>         As far as I can tell, all of the examples in the documentation
> involving multiple scores with different titles use the \score { … }
> construct instead of the \new Score { … } construct.  If I do that, I can get
> multiple pieces with headers, but I can’t change the skipBars property;
> uncommenting the commented lines in the snippet below also throws an error
> concerning “unexpected MUSIC_FUNCTION”:
> —————
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \header {
> title = "Symphony"
> }
>
> \score
> {
> %\set Score.skipBars = ##t
>
> \relative c' { \repeat unfold 2 {c4 d e f} R1*10 \repeat unfold 2 {c4 d e f}}
>
> \header { piece = "I."}
> }
>
> \score
> {
> % \set Score.skipBars = ##t
>
> \relative c' { \repeat unfold 2 {f4 e d c} R1*10 \repeat unfold 2 {f4 e d c}}
>
> \header { piece = "II."}
> }
> ————
> How do I get parts including multiple scores *and* with condensed multi-rests
> in each one?
>
> Mike Seifert
> New London, CT

"Score" like in \new Score { ... } is one of many available contexts
like StaffGroup, Lyrics, Voice etc
"score" like in \score { .. } is _not_ a context.
>From Learning Manual:
  Every \score block is a separate chunk of music within a \book block.
  A \score block must always contain exactly one music expression.
  the \score block can contain other things, such as
  \score {
    { c'4 a b c' }
    \header { }
    \layout { }
    \midi { }
  }

To summarize, you can't write a \header inside a context and you can't
have two musical expression inside \score { ... }
NB \set whatever _is_ a musical expression.

You could do
\score {
  {
    \set Score.skipBars = ##t
    \relative c' {
    \repeat unfold 2 {f4 e d c} R1*10 \repeat unfold 2 {f4 e d c}
  \header { piece = "II."}
}

But if you want skipBars = ##t in a single score put it in a score-layout:
\score {
  \relative c' {
  \repeat unfold 2 {f4 e d c} R1*10 \repeat unfold 2 {f4 e d c}
  }
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      skipBars = ##t
  \header { piece = "II."}
}

If you want it for all scores use layout outside from \score
\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    skipBars = ##t

\score {
  \relative c' {
  \repeat unfold 2 {f4 e d c} R1*10 \repeat unfold 2 {f4 e d c}
  }
  \header { piece = "II."}
}

Btw, I think the Learning Manual covers all this.
The usage of \new Score is possible, yes, but I've never found a
use-case for it, apart from testing very strange things ;)

Cheers,
  Harm