Re: padding problem

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: padding problem
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 22:51:06 -0700

On 2019-07-31 10:24 pm, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Folks,

please have a look at the attached (non-MWE) example.  If the
`padding' value in `system-system-spacing' is -2, both systems are
displayed on one page – and there is plenty of vertical space still
available at the bottom.

If I change `padding' to -1, I suddenly get two pages.  Why?  What
parameters am I missing to get the two systems on one page without
overlapping?  In case there is no bug in lilypond this should be
easily possible, right?

I would suspect it is simply LilyPond's early estimation for page breaking that is determining there would be insufficient room. In my experience, LilyPond seems to be a little generous when estimating the potential size of objects. This often results in music overflowing to additional pages when not strictly needed. Adjusting variables like system-count and systems-per-page are usually helpful.

You could experiment with setting page-breaking-system-system-spacing, which can let you specify custom spacing variables that apply just for the determination of page breaking. For instance, you will likely not want a negative padding for the real system-system-spacing so that you do not get any overlapping ink; but the negative padding could be needed with page-breaking-system-system-spacing.

-- Aaron Hill