Re: \startStaff after clef change in other staff

From: mason
Subject: Re: \startStaff after clef change in other staff
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 15:15:10 -0700

On 07/31, Pierre Perol-Schneider wrote:
> \version "2.21.0"
> % Option 1:
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new Staff \relative c' {
>       c4 c c c |
>       \stopStaff
>       s1 |
>       \startStaff
>       c4 c c c |
>     }
>     \new Staff \relative c' {
>       c4 c c c |
>       \once\override Score.BreakAlignment.break-align-orders =
> #(make-vector 3 '(staff-bar clef))
>       \clef "bass" c4 c c c |
>     }
>   >>
> }
>
> % Option 2:
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new Staff \relative c' {
>       c4 c c c |
>       \stopStaff
>       s1 |
>       \startStaff
>       c4 c c c |
>     }
>     \new Staff \relative c' {
>       c4 c c c |
>       c4 c c c |
>       \clef "bass" c4 c c c |
>     }
>   >>
>   \layout {
>     \context {
>       \Score
>       \remove Break_align_engraver
>     }
>     \context {
>       \Staff
>       \consists Break_align_engraver
>     }
>   }
> }

Thanks Pierre,

Both of these approaches seem promising. I like that neither requires
manual tweaking, and I like that the Option 2 seems to not be specific
to clefs, which is good since there are also some places where grace
notes have a similar effect. However, the version in your earlier email
does produce a better result, in that it changes where the staff begins
as opposed to moving the barlines. I'll play around with these. Thanks.

Mason