Re: Subdividing beams

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Subdividing beams
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 21:21:48 +0000

Hi William,

27. Juli 2019 22:38, "William Zeitler" <address@hidden> schrieb:

> How would I subdivide tuplets, so the triples are grouped together like:
>
> ===-===-===

You would do that manually, by setting the beamlet count for all affected
positions :-(

Unfortunately LilyPond's handling of beam subdivisions is broken (or rather:
has never been done correctly). We have had this as a suggestion for a Google
Summer of Code-project for several years, and I had invested signficant time
analyzing the issue (see this entry
http://lilypond.org/google-summer-of-code.html#Fix-Beaming-Patterns_002fBeam-Subdivisions-and-Tuplets
 and the PDF document linked from there). To my great dismay this has never
been tackled so far ...

But with a current version of LilyPond *this* does seem to work:

version "2.19.82"

\relative {
  \set subdivideBeams = ##t
  \set baseMoment = #(ly:make-moment 1/8)
  \cadenzaOn
  \tuplet 3/2 { c'16 [ d c b c b a b c] }
  \cadenzaOff
  d1
  d1
}

This works because 3/16 in the triplet amount to 1/8 in real time - and that is
(unfortunately) what LilyPond takes into account for its subdivision decision.
This is semantically wrong, but has the effect you want in this case. So I'd
consider it an ugly hack ....

> (I want to do this inside a cadenza if that makes a difference)

In fact it *only* works in a cadenza because here you can tweak the music's
"stretch" so it matches the real-time subdivision points.

If at some point someone would finally fix the issue such a workaround would
very likely be broken ...

HTH in some way
Urs