Re: Alternating text and music

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Alternating text and music
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 21:44:59 +0200

David Wright <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat 27 Jul 2019 at 18:57:35 (+0200), David Kastrup wrote:
>> David Wright <address@hidden> writes:

>> > I would advise against that because PNGs are rastered. The hint is in
>> > the name: portable-Network-graphics.
>>
>> Uh, what in the name indicates rasterisation?
>
> Perhaps I was a little oblique: "Network" indicates that the format is
> designed for transfer of images over the network, rather than between
> local applications.

PDF is a compressed and limited form of PostScript that also allows for
compressing whole objects.  It supports vectorised as well as rasterised
objects comparatively effectively and is used a tiny bit on networks.

> I'm not overconcerned whether people see this as a hint not to use
> PNGs in this workflow. But I assume you're not supporting their use,
> are you.

I have no idea who "you" is supposed in that context and what "support"
is supposed to mean.

--
David Kastrup