Re: Removing lyric hyphens

From: Benjamin Bloomfield
Subject: Re: Removing lyric hyphens
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 19:28:58 -0400

No, I should have explained that I have further things going on in my full source code that remove the semibreves unless they are the first one or the first in the system, and the hyphenations are given so that a reasonable point can be chosen for the system breaks even if it's in the middle of a word.  I have everything working nicely except for the slight bit of extra space between syllables.

Sorry I forgot to mention why I have the hyphenation points marked, because you're right, the solution you give is the obvious one if I didn't need those hyphenation points for the possible line breaks.

Thanks,

Benjamin Bloomfield

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 6:02 PM Brian Barker <address@hidden> wrote:
At 15:54 24/07/2019 -0400, you wrote:
>I've been trying to totally get rid of the space
>where a lyric hyphen might go, in cases where
>that space is already very small, but I have not
>been able to figure it out. Is there a way to
>get rid of these spaces instead of having them
>still present as empty space?  I want the
>syllables to be as close to each other as if they were a single syllable.

If you don't want the space, don't put it in! If
you want "Holy", enter "Holy", not "Ho -- ly". If
you then want that word to fit one note, use "Holy_". Thus:
Draw near, Lord, Holy_ Father,_ almighty__ and e -- ter -- nal God,
with
a'8 c1 c c c c c c \divisioMinima b8 a b \divisioMaior

But isn't the way such music is usually set with
a single semibreve for all the syllables that are chanted to it?
Draw "near, Lord, Holy Father, almighty and e" -- ter -- nal God,
a'8 c1 \divisioMinima b8 a b \divisioMaior

Now all you probably have to do is to move the
semibreve back to over the word "near," ...

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker - privately