Re: vertical position of OttavaBracket

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: vertical position of OttavaBracket
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 21:15:00 +1000

Hi Malte,

Well this is interesting. What you have shown is perfectly normal in many editions. Some editions line up the dash with the top of the va abbrev., and some on the baseline, and some in the middle. It's a matter of personal taste. Trying to force one way of typesetting is not in the general spirit of things. Also, the very old fashioned style of putting abbreviations as superscript, such as in English No, for number, where the o is superscripted looks dreadfully dated. But some like this. I don't, for one. The only case remaining for superscript abbreviations is the degree symbol in scientific context.

Provide the mechanism, sure, but don't prescribe a single appearance. I don't even think there is a default that would suit everybody, that's the point.

Andrew