Turning off or stripping out bar checks

From: Leah Velleman
Subject: Turning off or stripping out bar checks
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 10:02:17 -0400

Is there a way to turn off bar checks? Or to write a music function that strips out bar checks?

Or does anyone have suggestions on where to start looking for such things?

Here's the situation. Most of what I write (largely Sacred Harp fuguing tunes) triggers a known limitation around bar checks. Most pieces in this style include repeats with alternative endings. Because of partial measures, the alternative endings include changes to the bar length. And I generate MIDI output using a second score with \unfoldRepeats. This combination triggers spurious bar check failures for the second score. (The limitation is described at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/long-repeats#normal-repeats; scroll down to "Known issues and warnings.")

I'd like to find a way prevent bar checks on the score that includes \unfoldRepeats, but perform them as normal on the score where repeats are not unfolded. And since this is a situation that comes up very often for me, it's worth my while to spend some time on making this work.

Any thoughts on where I might start?

Thanks,
LV