Re: Jazz Chord Symbols (as new font - NOT notation font)

From: Marco Baumgartner
Subject: Re: Jazz Chord Symbols (as new font - NOT notation font)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 15:29:00 +0200

Thanks, Aaron.

I really feel like creating a whole new font.
The problem I'm facing right now is: I can use my self-made otf fonts as markup.
If I use the same font as ChordNames, it seems like ChordNames is dictating what's a valid entry and what isn't.
That's the minor issue (I still think, displaying chord symbols as "normal" markup is fine too.) The bigger issue is:

Although my font (otf) HAS ligatures (and show up if the font is used on my system in other programs) - it
doesn't show ANY ligatures in lilypond... Can't make it work as of now.

I searched about it, and stumbled across people saying, that this was like an official bug. Others saying,
that it should be all working instead...

I'm using 2.18.2 on Debian Linux with Frescobaldi.
And: The ligatures I'm talking about are not standard ligatures (tied to a specific language), they're everything but standard.
But like I said, a normal Text-Editor (and even used on the web via @font-face) can render the ligatures just fine.

Any tips on:
- where to install the font (not so sure about that anymore...)
- how to encode the font in a way that lilypond recognizes ligatures
- just pointing out, that I'm stupid (that would be at least a valid excuse) :-)

Thanks a lot for your help.

On 2019-07-03 4:45 pm, Aaron Hill wrote:
> NOTE: Similar things will be adjusted to support the slash separator
> as well, so that you could get a single string like "C#m/E" so your
> font's logic could handle this.

I typed that poorly.  Trying again:

NOTE: Similar things will need to be adjusted to support the slash
separator as well, so that you could get a single string like "C#m/E"
for your font's logic to handle.

-- Aaron Hill