Re: MIDI: Automatic accent on notes starting bars

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: MIDI: Automatic accent on notes starting bars
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 22:36:13 +0100

Thanks for the explanations!
Your idea is good.  The infrastructure is not there.  We probably should
have something like make-translator for stuff that just translates
events and/or meddles with context properties.

So you probably need to work on the music expressions for now similar to
how articulate.ly does things.

Just so I understand correctly: I shouldn't use an engraver at all but write a music function? And if I understood everything correctly to this point, this is more difficult since at the time a music function is interpreted, the actual position in time of the music in question is not yet known.

So, it might be a bit involved here since what I'm doing is inherently non-local (in contrast to, as far as I can see, \articulate): I think I would have to keep track of time signature changes, do some book-keeping on note lengths to know when a measure is complete, and so on. This seems certainly possible, and ... well ... let's say, it certainly is another opportunity to increase my understanding of Scheme and Lilypond. :-)

Lukas