Re: The composition process doesn't get disrupted using Lily Pond?

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: The composition process doesn't get disrupted using Lily Pond?
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 19:04:05 +0100

Hi Yakir,

Am 30.12.18 um 18:28 schrieb Yakir Arbib:
Can anyone here who is a composer and uses LilyPond to compose give me
some little insight about the process?

I’m not a professional composer but I use LilyPond to do my composing homework for university ;)

I mean if you are composing for more than one stave (I.E. piano and
cello or string quartet) how do you keep track of the music if each
stave has to be coded separately?

I use Frescobaldi (http://frescobaldi.org) which shows the resulting PDF on one half of the screen. There I can click on any note to get to the corresponding place in the LilyPond code. That’s probably not an option for you, is it? But there are other techniques that might help you:

Many people write exactly one measure per line, use bar checks (the symbol | that checks whether there is a bar line where you expect it), write a bar number comment every 5 bars etc.

I know that there are several blind composers who use LilyPond and I also transcribed a piano piece some time ago for a blind pianist who used the LilyPond code to learn to play that piece. So LilyPond seems to be a appropriate tool for those people. Of course, I’m not an expert in that matter.

Happy New Year to you too!
Malte