Re: two markups

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: two markups
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 10:54:28 +0100

Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:

> This works perfectly and print ciccio:
>
> \version "2.19.82"
> test = #(define-scheme-function () () #{ \markup "ciccio"  #} )
> \test
>

> but if i specify two markups instead of one like here....
>
> \version "2.19.82"
> test = #(define-scheme-function () () #{ \markup "ciccio" \markup "ciccio"
> #} )
> \test
>

> then it stop to works.
>
> Why?

What is the type of the Scheme expression #{ \markup "ciccio" \markup
"ciccio" #} supposed to be?  It cannot be a markup, because there are
two.

And how should I do if I need to specify two markups?

You can create a markup list from two markups.  You can also combine two
markups in various ways (sometimes by first putting both in a markup
list) into a single markup (\combine, \line, \concat, \column and so
on).

It's your choice.  But just waving your hands and telling the computer
"well, do _something_" <https://youtu.be/gGg7qF02vHM?t=155> is not
likely to make a programming language like Scheme happy.

--
David Kastrup