Formatting part of a header property

From: Br. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Formatting part of a header property
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 11:45:03 -0500

I'm making use of a custom header (with custom fields) and have come across a situation in which I need to apply custom formatting (italics) to a piece of the field (just a handful of words in the middle). Given that the header fields are normally simple strings, is there a way to format part of the string without resorting to splitting the field up into different parts (which could then be independently formatted)?

MWE to play with:

\version "2.19.82"

\book {
  \paper {
    indent = 0\mm
    scoreTitleMarkup = \markup {
      \fill-line {
        \null
        \fontsize #4 \bold \fromproperty #'header:custom
  \header { tagline = ##f }
  \score {
    { s1 }
    \header {
      custom = "PRAELUDIUM I italicized text Back to normal"

Br. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE