Re: [Lyric+Chords project] required engravers

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: [Lyric+Chords project] required engravers
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 09:17:53 -0500

Hi Harm,

> isn't it the challenge to transform a score with chords/notes/lyrics there
> into a leadsheat?

Yes.

> Then you may have hyphenated text in such a score which should be
> transformed into one word in the text of a leadsheet.

Yes… *but only after chord-spacing is complete*!

> In the last meaure of second line the chords could be done like
> E/E   E/B    E/Gis  E/E
> Af -- fen -- ban -- de
> (No ligature, every syllable with it's own chord-symbol)
>
> In a leadsheet I'd then expect
> E/E E/B E/Gis E/E
> Affenbande
> with ligature at "ff" and reasonable distributed chord-symbols.
>
> Or are my expextations wrongly?

In the "chords directly above lyrics" format, I think most people expect the
chords to be precisely aligned with their respective syllables. Thus, if the
chord names are too wide, they must force the syllables apart (including
ligatures).

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer