Re: score-lines-markup-list in Lyrics?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: score-lines-markup-list in Lyrics?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 09:53:29 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> this works:
>>
>> \version "2.19.82"
>>
>> tst = \markuplist \italic #(make-list 2 "buzz")
>>
>> <<
>>   \new Staff { R1 \break R1 }
>>   \new Lyrics \lyricmode { address@hidden }
>>>>

>> This doesn't work:
>>
>> tstA =
>> \markuplist \score-lines { \repeat unfold 80 a'16 }
>>
>> <<
>>   \new Staff { R1 \break R1 }
>>   \new Lyrics \lyricmode { address@hidden }
>>>>

>> I have some vague thoughts why it refuses to work, though I can't
>> really word them ...
>
> A list of markups is only one possible form of a markup list.
> Obviously™ a markup command call cannot be a list of markups since the
> call is only done when typesetting and then a list of stencils (not of
> markups) is getting produced.
>
>> Anyway, is it somehow doable?
>
> Lyrics would need to accept markup lists.  That's not readily possible
> since the number of stencils produced is only known at the time of
> calling the markup list command (during iteration) and the length of a
> music expression is often needed before.
>
> So I don't readily see how this could be reliably done.

Unreliably, one could produce sequential music with a elements-callback
field producing lyrics elements from individual \stencil markups.  The
stencil list would be produced at time of iteration by the
elements-callback, and the length callback would be made to return some
nonsense or approximation.

--
David Kastrup