some larger applications

From: Markus Lepper
Subject: some larger applications
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 22:13:11 +0100

Dear Madams and Sirs,
dear users of lilypond.

I would like to bring to your attention some perhaps prototypical applications of lilypond, carried out in the last years:

1) http://senzatempo.de/mahler/gmahler_sinf3_satz1.html

is a 120 pages analysis of the first movement of the Third Symphony of Gustav Mahler (in the German language). It is remarkable as a *dynamic document": The text and music paragraphs can be folded in and out in various combinations. This project could certainly not have been realized with a commercial GUI-based note setting program, because the music source texts, with and without analytic remarks (=lilypond sources) must be created *programmatically*, to be manageable.

There is only one coherent integrated source text, which can be reached by the very last link on the page.

We consider this project a significant step in the format of musicology publications, and a thing which only lilypond can support.

2) http://markuslepper.eu/publishscores/lepper-op27+33-20181204.pdf
may perhaps prove the feasibility of longer scores: it is a six-act opera with more than sixhundred pages.

3) http://markuslepper.eu/publishscores/lepper-op37-20160529.pdf
is a string quartett which may be interesting because over a third of its movements had been composed *directly* by writing lilypond sources. On http://markuslepper.eu/someSounds.html you can find a sample player generation, (in-directly) driven by the lilypond midi output.

4) As an attachment you find a collection of functions useful for composing, namely for extracting and combining sub-sections of monodic structures, a job we have not found covered in the standard lilypond tool sets. (One source file and the generated pdf for control; free to use under CC-BY-SA)

Hoping to be useful,
yours sincerly,
  Dr. Lepper

Dr.-Ing. M.Lepper
Übersetzerbau und Sprachdesign -- Language Design and Compiler Construction
Komposition und Musiktheorie -- Composition and Theory of Music
Heinrich-Heine-Str. 10 10179 Berlin
+49  176 76 524 521