Re: Not Nice Review of the LilyPond

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Not Nice Review of the LilyPond
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 11:47:56 +0000

On 02/12/18 11:31, David Kastrup wrote:
> J Martin Rushton <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm not sure the single critical paragraph is that unfair.  I've turned
>> the tables on the reviewer and added my own comments as an amateur who
>> came to Lily only a few years ago.
>
> [...]
>
>> "LilyPond source files appear to be written in a custom programming
>> language whose grammar is never discussed."
>> - I'm afraid this one is bang on target.  However compare the situation
>> to other systems and at least you can programme rather than just
>> accepting a proprietary black box.
>
> Well, this author went the mile and actually learnt how to work with
> LilyPond before giving it a critical eye (and apparently sticking with
> it).  I think we lose the majority of potential users even before
> getting anywhere as far.  It's easy to laugh about those when they write
> up their impression, but of course the problem _is_ real.
>
> Frescobaldi is an impressive way to lower the threshold of getting
> acquainted with LilyPond's way of working.  And Denemo is nice for not
> getting all that much acquainted with LilyPond's way of working.

Hi David.  I'm not quite sure whether you're telling me off for
criticising the original author, or praising me for as "this author"!
In either case may I concur with your comments about Frescobaldi - It is
a nice compromise between GUI/IDE/text and does make life a lot easier
for occasional users.  I was going to include Frescobaldi in my email to
Alethis but as I mentioned they don't seem to want to be contacted which
is odd for a "professional software consulting services".

Regards,

Martin