Re: Spacing issue after Mark and TextScript

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Spacing issue after Mark and TextScript
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 00:33:01 +0100

Am So., 25. Nov. 2018 um 22:51 Uhr schrieb David Sumbler <address@hidden>:

> The keep-inside-line parameter is a boolean, which defaults to #t.  But
> I find myself somewhat confused.  In the above code, if the keep-
> inside-line override is commented out, or if keep-inside-line is set to
> ##t (which is in any case the default), the staff extends beyond the
> right-hand margin.  If keep-inside-line is set to ##f or #'(), the
> staff conforms to the margins.  This is contrary to what one would
> expect from NR 1.8.1, 2.1.2 and A18.  It is also the exact opposite of
> what the name "keep-inside-line" suggests: a better name would seem to
> be "allow-outside-margin".

Well, you wrote "in the code above", though I posted two different
codings. Which one do you refer to?

(1)
The first was meant to illustrate the current default behaviour, i.e.
keep-inside-line is #t
See the attached files.
keep-inside-line-01.ly is the current default
keep-inside-line-02.ly unsets keep-inside-line
Outcome of both is as I would expect.

(2)
The second [with \addScore #(+ 64.25 0.00)] points to a possible bug,
which may occur under certain circumstances.
Ofcourse there you can expect strange behaviour, this code is _meant
_to spot it.

> Also I note that in this particular case, changing
> NonMusicalPaperColumn.keep-inside-line has no effect.  Only
> PaperColumn.keep-inside-line affects the output.  Does
> NonMusicalPaperColumn perhaps do the same job for passages of pure
> markup?

Don't know, never tested.
Though it does not make much sense to set keep-inside-line differently
for PaperColumn and NonMusicalPaperColumn, imho.

Btw, you can make them visible with:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    %% Enable only one, too confusing otherwise
    %\override PaperColumn.stencil = #ly:paper-column::print
    \override NonMusicalPaperColumn.stencil = #ly:paper-column::print

IR says:
Function: ly:paper-column::print
    Optional stencil for PaperColumn orNonMusicalPaperColumn. Draws
the rank number of each column, its moment in time, a blue arrow
showing the ideal distance, and a red arrow showing the minimum
distance between columns.

Cheers,
  Harm