Re: Using various weights and widths of fonts

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Using various weights and widths of fonts
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2018 12:16:20 -0600

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 11:34 AM Joshua Nichols <address@hidden> wrote:
I just found it in Frescobaldi. This is what is displayed:

Garamond Premr Pro Disp

So! That means that the best method is to display the fonts and find their naming using a search function. I managed to get it to work! Thanks for the lead!

You’re most welcome!

That kind of naming most likely comes from the name-length limitation in fonts. That doesn’t necessarily mean *that* font has a name too long, but probably another one in the family (e.g. Garamond Premiere Pro Display Semibold Condensed, or something like this). What many larger foundries do is uniformly abbreviate parts of the name across the entire family, even if they don’t all need it, to keep a consistent convention for all variants. I actually can’t say whether or not that is true here since I don’t own a license for this family, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the case here.

Now, to get larger font families  supported natively in LilyPond...

Best,
Abraham