Re: Cover page

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Cover page
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 00:48:03 +0200

Hi,

Am 11.09.2018 um 23:53 schrieb Simon Albrecht:
> On 11.09.2018 17:50, foxfanfare wrote:
>> - Is Latex a good replacement for Word?
>
> Maybe. LaTeX becomes less of a good choice the more you actually want to
> design the visuals. In a scientific paper, looks don’t matter at all,
> it’s only about the content; that’s where LaTeX is perfect, no doubt. If
> you’re going to design a poster, LaTeX is most certainly not the tool of
> choice, because you want to have total control over where everything is
> placed; visuals are essential.

I guess the wording might be just a bit misleading, but I disagree with
that. Yes, LaTeX is good for scientific papers. But that's not because
looks don't matter. It's because of the beautiful look of mathematical
formulae, the clear and automatic structure of your text, the
cross-references, the automatic and consistent layout etc. Most of all
it is because the defaults and many documentclasses are made for
scientific papers. The author of TeX actually cares a lot about beauty.

All that makes a LaTeX paper much more beautiful than let's say a word
document. And you can actually influence the layout a lot (cf.
KOMA-Script etc.).

What is difficult, is to create a completely customized layout or to
break the rules of the defined layout.

At least that's how I would put it.

Cheers,
Joram