A Midi question

From: foxfanfare
Subject: A Midi question
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 09:05:42 -0700 (MST)

Hi all,

I'd like to know a bit more about your use of the midi file. First, I use
LilyPond for its engraving qualities, nothing else. But still, a good audio
output is sometimes very handy. I wonder if the average usage of LP is
making PDF only and nothing else, or if I'm missing something big here...

So, here are some questions I'd like to ask:

1. I find very useful to write piano music in different variables, all my
nuances and sustain-pedal marks aren't written with the notes. So, they
unfortunately don't get include in the midi file. How do you guys manage
this situation? It would be a bit silly to re-write everything with the
notes, breaking all the advantages of using variables!

2. What do you do with the default midi file? The french wikipedia page
(https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/LilyPond) said the midi could be improved by
a sequencer. From your experience, what would you suggest for this task?
(I'm still talking about open-software).

3. About this, do you know if there is some good free VST?

I'm waiting for your comments and experiences about managing audio with
LilyPond.
Thanks!