Re: frescobaldi print music

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: frescobaldi print music
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 23:44:03 -0500

On Fri 10 Aug 2018 at 16:54:24 (+0200), Gianmaria Lari wrote:
> To avoid having one or two staves on last page, I use often page-count.
> Unfortunately this often cuts the bottom of the page (the tagline or some
> notes).
>
> Today I tried to understand better the problem, checking the printable area
> of the printer, playing with annotate-spacing, margin etc,. And I
> discovered that when I print inside Frescobaldi, the resulting output page
> is shifted down 5mm and shifted right 5mm. If I print the same output page
> from adobe acrobat the output is perfect. Does anyone have seen the same
> thing?
>
> I'm running frescobaldi 3.01, lilypond 2.19.82 on windows 10.

For me, printer drivers are like the dark arts of black magic.
Ink, toner and paper are expensive so I always print documents
directly from a PDF file, ie a simple   lp -d bw8500cups "$@"
for example.

With my own LP output, I use my library of paper and margin includes
that prevent straying out of the printer's printable area. Otherwise,
I check PDFs with my bash function that superimposes a frame around
the printable area. (A lot of other people's documents use
international paper sizes like A4.)

Whenever I start using a new printer (or after major software
changes), I print off a modified copy¹ of the ancient LaTeX
testpage.tex. (It needs editing to be able to handle non-USletter
paper properly.) It prints a page with a frame 1-inch away from the
edges of the page, and each margin contains an inch/mm ruler.
This makes it easy to read off where the ink doesn't reach the
edge of the paper, in turn allowing the frame size to be set
appropriately in my bash function mentioned above.

As for printing from applications like acrobat, that's ok as long as
you can tame their "helpful" facilities like fit-to-page which can be
counterproductive.

¹ \pdfpagewidth → \pagewidth and \pdfpageheight → \pageheight in
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/139951/pdflatex-testpage-produces-wrong-margins-for-a4paper

Cheers,
David.