Syntax Completion in Vim

From: Peter Engelbert
Subject: Syntax Completion in Vim
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 21:10:34 -0700

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows how to set up vim to be able to do tab
completion (or Ctrl-N completion) for Lilypond syntax.  As is, Vim can do tab
completion for variables, contexts and grobs that are defined within the
current file or included files.  For example, once i \override
NoteHead.stencil in a given file, I can then use tab completion on \override,
NoteHead, or .stencil.  Before any of these have appeared in the file, they
are not available using Tab completion. This is in contrast to Frescobaldi,
which has
Lilypond's syntax (and all of the grob and interface properties) built-in, and
completion is available via a drop-down context menu.

Is it possible to set up this functionality within Vim?  I'm really sold on it
as an editor, I find it to be quite efficient and I like how easy it is to
program and modify.  I find it better than Frescobaldi in every way, except
for Frescobaldi's superior automatic completion.  If there isn't a ready-made
solution, perhaps someone could point me in the direction of how to go about
creating one?

Many thanks,
Peter