Partcombine not working for orchestral parts?

From: Ben
Subject: Partcombine not working for orchestral parts?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 09:10:55 -0400

Good morning,

I wanted to create a new thread which was inspired by my previous email about voices-staves.

I figured a new thread could help more people this way.

Currently I'm struggling to understand why partcombine won't work as I expected it to...for orchestral works, it's common to have, say 2 flutes, on the same staff in the full score but for the parts, only print flute 1 and 2 on separate parts without the other music included. (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices)

However, I followed along in the documentation and can't figure out why my quarter note rests won't appear in voice 1, but other duration rests do appear. I thought maybe it was the location of the pitches being too close, but I tried other octaves and no change occurred.

What am I doing wrong? I'm getting concerned with having to print out parts for several projects in the near future but these a2/solo markings are not functioning as I had hoped they would with partcombine.

Thank you for setting me straight :)

Example----

The rests are not consistently displayed in voice 1, but voice 2 seems to be correct.

(see attached)

Here is the code:

%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.81"

fluteone =
% the r4 in measure two simply won't display, yet the 1/8th rest in measure 4 DOES display?
 \relative { e'4( f g a) | r4 f4 g f | c'2~ c2 | f8 f e e f r f f |r1 | f4 g g g | c c c }

flutetwo =
% however the rests in this voice display correctly?
  \relative { c'2( d) e f  r4 e r g c2 c2 c,4 c c c r1 c''4 c c }

  \new Staff \with {
      instrumentName = #"Flute 1.2"
    shortInstrumentName = #"Fl. "
      }