Re: Frescobaldi to default window layout

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi to default window layout
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 09:46:48 -0500

On Sun 01 Jul 2018 at 09:58:23 (+0200), Urs Liska wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I didn't say anything about the value of the choice of the original
> settings. Actually I don't remember them anymore (since there's no
> real way to get back to them short of installing Frescobaldi on a
> fresh computer).
>
> What I meant is that "revert to default" is clearly a command to
> reset all (layout) settings to their "factory presets". There's not
> much to argue about that, I think.

I think that it would be much simpler to either

. create a nonce user and run Fresco as that new user, or
. move $HOME/.config/frescobaldi/¹ to another location before running Fresco,

and then examine the diffs between the new $HOME/.config/frescobaldi/
tree and the original user's version.

> What you are asking for is saving personal presets, one of them
> maybe being your "personal default". In order to achieve that we'll
> have to determine which settings we want to be included in such a
> preset (Obviously the positions of all windows from the "Tools"
> menu, but would you also want to store colors and fonts, zoom sizes,
> or maybe a copy of *all* Preferencs? This would have to be
> discussed) and then figure out an interface to maintain that. This
> isn't really hard to do, I think, but someone needs to take the time
> to do it. But *if* it is done adding a "factory reset" is trivial,
> and I think it should be added too.

In a similar manner, after setting up Fresco to the user's personal
satisfaction, a snapshot of the configuration tree can be saved for
future use as a "personal default", implemented by substituting it
for the tree that's no longer desired.

> Am 01.07.2018 um 09:50 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
> >Hi Urs,
> >
> >I can't quite say I agree with that. The default when first opened
> >is to not show the Documentation Window. You have to choose it to
> >turn it on. Trivial to do and little effort, yes, but the point is
> >my default is but everyone's default.
> >
> >Andrew
> >
> >On 1 July 2018 at 17:35, Urs Liska <address@hidden
> ><mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
> >

> >    That's easy. The default is how it would be with no user
> >    preferences present.

¹ substitute the appropriate location for your platform
  (this being Debian's).

Cheers,
David.