Re: Reusability of lilypond code?

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Reusability of lilypond code?
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 14:09:03 -0400

On 6/27/2018 1:20 PM, Mason Hock wrote:
On 06/27, address@hidden wrote:
But I have one issue with the reuse of my work. My last score e.g. has
four voices (T1, T2, B1, B2). I assign music and lyrics for each voice
to a variable and combine them info a choir staff. So for our
rehearsal, everybody can see all the voices.

There are other usecases, where I would like to have only one
voice per staff. I can do that with lilypond, of course, by reusing
the variables that I created before.

Now comes the problem:

For the "one voice per staff" solution (and for midi files, by the
way), the single voices have to be annotated with all "bells and
whistles", like dynamics, for example.

But for the "four voices per staff", all the annotations would pile
up (one 'p' above the other 'p' for the two tenor voices, for example)
and with all the duplicated dynamic, hairpins, markup, the score would
become unreadable.
I typically use a separate Dynamics staff, which can then be attached once to any music staff as appropriate. This will also align dynamics vertically, which is my preference. Notice that in the third example the p is not aligned with the other dynamics.

notesA = \relative c' {
  a'2. a4 | a
}

notesB = \relative c' {
  d2. d4 | a
}

dynamics = {
  s2\fp\< s4 s\f s\p
}

notesBdynamics = \relative c' {
  d2.\fp\< d4\f a\p
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \notesA
    \new Dynamics \with {
      \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #UP
    } \dynamics
    \new Staff \notesB
    \new Dynamics \with {
      \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #UP
    } \dynamics

  \layout { }
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \partcombine \notesA \notesB
    \new Dynamics \with {
      \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #UP
    } \dynamics

  \layout { }
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \notesBdynamics

  \layout { }

Mason,

Does that mean for every piece of yours you have separate dynamic contexts for every single instrument? I'd imagine that could possibly clutter up your score a bit, no?

To have many dynamic context variables mapped to all their appropriate instruments, just curious how you manage it all? Do you only pick a few dynamic contexts for main instruments, or really all?

Interested to hear more :)