Re: openLilyLib

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: openLilyLib
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 13:40:04 +0200

On 2018-06-26 23:35, Urs Liska wrote:
This gives me an opportunity to repeat my call for help with this. The
website is an Angular application (representing my "state" at the end
of a set of online courses), and I got stuck with a practical way of
feeding the content in the site. The placeholder content is all
"authored" in manually written JSON expressions, which is definitely
not the way I want to go forward. So anyone who is interested in
making this a usable site and is fluent in the MEAN stack (more
concretely, getting data (maybe from "M") into the "AN" part) would be
warmly welcomed ...

I, at best, *pretend* to be a web developer.  As far as MEAN goes, I have really only done the most with Node.JS itself, only dabbling with the other three.  That said, I am a pretty quick learner of new languages and frameworks, so I can definitely help you look into options for getting the site up and running.

That would be great!

Though, we should probably take that discussion offline.

Definitely.
I'll see how and when I can prepare something to give it to you.

[...] (for example: "tools providing
organ registration notation" would be a good package scope while
"helper functions for my projects of the last decade" probably less
so) [...]

While I wouldn't think to subject people to my helper functions, your phrasing is uncannily accurate as I have in fact been using LilyPond for about ten years.  *x-files theme plays*  But I fully understand your point about what would be more useful as a package.  In practice, I would first review any helper functions to see if they could be generalized into a more widely applicable pattern, otherwise there is little point of publishing them.

Well, nothing speaks against creating an openLilyLib package *without* publishing it, just for personal organization. In that case it would be valid to have an uncategorized package with "all my reusable stuff", and have *some* organization thorugh modules like "common-tweaks", "score-organization", "fancy-score-elements" etc.).

Best
Urs

- - -

All in all, I thank you for providing so much great information, Urs.  Hopefully, I will be able to contribute in some way and help out the project.

-- Aaron Hill