Tags template, for markup?

From: Ben
Subject: Tags template, for markup?
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 15:58:45 -0400

Hello everyone,

I'm learning very quickly just how incredibly powerful the tags system can be, but today my brain just can't get past one hurdle.

I am hoping someone can help me to grasp this: suppose I would like to setup a tag template (for my visualizing and learning) so I can add some markup to one note in an instrument's part, but have it not show in the full score. I understand how to include things like overrides and such in a tag area:

(i.e.

\tag #'partonlytag { \once \override DynamicLineSpanner.staff-padding = #8 }

)

but how does this work when the tagged content is something like markup, which applies directly to a note in the stream? I can't attach the markup tag content without errors, like enclosing or not enclosing the notes, getting bar check fails, etc.

I don't know if I should include the notes + markup or just markup within the tag { } area. Sorry. I can't seem to understand how to go about setting up something like this. Should I create a variable with my ^markup and then use that in a tag or...?

Thank you for helping me with this brain blockage!