Re: scheme with Frescobaldi

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: scheme with Frescobaldi
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 10:48:18 +0200

Hi Andrew,

Am 26.06.2018 um 06:24 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
Hi Freeman,

I'm not understanding this thread. For Scheme development or learning, why wouldn't you use a command line REPL, such as the one provided with guile? Are you trying to use Frescobaldi as some sort of IDE? That seems dubious to me, and not at all fluent or easy.

I disagree with that.
First when having a working LilyPond installation you don't have a Guile REPL available (at least not that I know of). What you *do* have is "lilypond scheme-sandbox", which has the significant advantage of providing exactly the environment as in a LilyPond file. But I must say this is a terrible environment and not really usable for anything beyond simple one-line expressions.

Therefore I agree that Frescobaldi is a very suitable environment to learn and experiment with LilyPond-targeted Scheme code, and the little extra effort to print to the log is pretty much neglectable.

Urs

Andrew