Re: Switching to drummode and back

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Switching to drummode and back
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 16:08:59 +0200

foxfanfare <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote
>> The problem here is that the DrumVoice context doesn't end since it is
>> the first context in the first context started in the sequential
>> iterator.
>>
>> You can force this using
>>
>> \new Voice { \clef bass ... }
>>
>> since the \new Voice can only be created in the enclosing Staff
>> (\context Voice does not work since it would accept the Voice alias from
>> the existing DrumVoice context).
>>
>> Alternatively, you can write
>> << \drums { ... } >>
>
> Thank you David, both solutions works well!
> What would be best if I want to write some ryhthmic passages on 1-line and
> alternate with normal 5-lines pitch notation:
>
> 1) use a RhythmicStaff (but when I do so, it fails to engrave only 1 line)

> 2) keep a DrumStaff and change the number of lines with \stopStaff and
> \startStaff?

I have no idea what you try doing here.  A RhythmicStaff uses normal
notes on a single line for showing rhythms.  A DrumStaff uses several
different noteheads in a fiveline system for showing different drum
types.

Your example uses drummode (and drum types that are not typeset on the
middle line) with a single line.  Which makes no real sense.

So first you need to decide what it is that you actually want to convey,
and then pick your recipe accordingly.

--
David Kastrup