Re: Ties across voices

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Ties across voices
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 20:14:43 +0200

On 16.06.2018 20:41, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

I'm attaching a scan from "The Easy Winners" by Scott Joplin, the way it was published in 1901.

I can't seem to get it to display the way I want.

[…]
The Tie won't tie between the voices and the chord past the voices.

It seems to work if you move the Tie_engraver from Voice to Staff level:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.80"

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists Tie_engraver
    \consists Tie_performer
  }
  \context {
    \Voice
    \remove Tie_engraver
    \remove Tie_performer

\relative c'' {
  \time 2/4
  \key des \major
  \mergeDifferentlyDottedOn
  <<
    {
      g16 <bes des>8.  ges16 <c ees>8 des16~ |
    }
    \\
    {
      g,4 ges8. f16~
    }

  <f des'>8 f'16 des ees f aes, a |
}

I moved Tie_performer along, since you were talking about the importance of accurate MIDI for your use case. I don’t use MIDI (or hardly ever) so I can’t test reasonably, but it should work, I imagine.

Best, Simon