Re: Advice on naming and structuring scholarLY commands

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Advice on naming and structuring scholarLY commands
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 16:45:22 +0200

Am 14.06.2018 um 15:56 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi Urs,

\variant seems unsuitable not only for the potential mistakes. Many cases will
not deal with variants but single events. For example you may want to simply
state that some notes are illegible, which is an editorial assessment and not a
variant. The same goes for \option.

The common aspect would be "editorial markup", but \markup is not an option,
obviously.
\edmark
?

Maybe the right direction.
\edMarkup
?

You also might consider having \variant as the principal, and then \editorial
or \edmark (or any number of others) as aliases/sugar.

I had also thought of things like that (like \criticalRemark is a wrapper/alias around \annotate). But I think that would be confusing. The alternative would be to pull together "\edmark gap" to "\gap" etc. That would make for nice input - but the major drawback is that we'd have maybe two dozen (with the \variants variants) commands with pretty generic names ...

Actually I think  \edmark and \edMarkup (or something along these lines) might be the best compromise between the generality of the command, expressiveness and practicality.

Urs

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer