Re: Placement of clefs at repeat bars

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Placement of clefs at repeat bars
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 22:56:08 +0100

Mark,

This works for my example as given, but not for the following one. Here the problem is that two clef changes are needed:

1) for the repeat from bass to treble (bar 6 back to 4), and
2) one for the continuation, from treble to bass (from 3 on to 7).

LP sees the bass clef in bar 6 and thinks that it's not needed for bar 7. But the performer goes straight from bar 4 to bar 7 and doesn't see the bass clef. Also, when repeating after bar 6, the performer doesn't see any clef change, and after the clef changes in bars 1-3 won't remember what clef they are meant to be in.

I'm a performer and occasional arranger, not a musical typographer, so don't know the solution, but it would seem to me that there should be one fundamental rule: the flow of the music as performed should have all clef changes marked without the performer having to remember anything.

(1) could be solved by a courtesy treble clef (in brackets?) at the beginning of bar 4.
(2) needs a bass clef at the beginning or bar 7

How this can be achieved is way outside my competence.

\version "2.19.52"

\language "english"

\new Staff {
 \override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#t #t #t)
 \time 4/4
 \clef "treble"  c''1
 \clef "bass" c
 \clef "treble" c''

 \repeat volta 2 { c'' }
 \alternative {
   { c'' \clef "bass" c }
   { \clef "bass" c }

Best regards,

Peter

 How about:

\new Staff {
 \override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#t #t #t)
 \time 4/4
 \clef "treble"  c''1
 \clef "bass" c
 \clef "treble" c''

 \repeat volta 2 { c'' }
 \alternative {
   {
          c''
          \clef "bass"
          \afterGrace
            {
                 \once \override Staff.Clef.X-extent = #'(-0.5 . -0.5)
                \clef "treble"
   {
          \once \override Score.BreakAlignment #'break-align-orders =
          #(make-vector 3 '(staff-bar clef ))
          \clef "bass" c

  Harm